Saturday, September 11, 2010

Tetlin NWR - Catching Birds

Hank Timm checks the tension of the mist net.

Using mist nets to catch birds for banding is a process I saw earlier this summer when I was out on a Rusty Black Bird study. The idea is simple: string a fine mesh net between two poles in a location birds are bound to pass through. The net is hung in such a manner that several "pockets" are formed; when a bird of the desired size hits the net they will tumble into these pockets and be captured, if the bird is too big the just bounce off (in theory). Bird biologists become extremely proficient at extricating birds from what may appear to be a rather perilous tangle, but with the experience of banding over forty-thousand birds at this site, nearly ten-thousand of those himself, experts like Hank Timm make quick work of it. After filming everything for this segment I was able to release a bird myself, pretty cool for a day's work.

Jason Reppert skillfully removes a bird from the net. I tried for a second angle but he was already done.
Bud Johnson recording data.
Checking for body fat to see if they are bulking up for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment